About the Zoning Officer
The Borough's Zoning Officer is responsible for administering and enforcing Zoning Ordinances under the Borough Code. The Zoning Officer has overall responsibility for the administrative oversight of all applications for land development and zoning permits including:
- Review all Master Plan and Zoning ordinance Revisions
- Review all plot plans, subdivision layouts, surveys, site plans and building plans of new structures and additions for compliance with land use regulations
- Review proposed projects for compliance with Municipal Land Use Law and consult with the applicants, their professionals and borough board members and professionals regarding all development within the borough
- Attends Joint Land Use Board meetings as needed
- Enforcement of borough zoning laws through the Zoning Officer and Code Enforcement Officer.
Residential work that requires a Zoning Permit
Commercial work that requires a Zoning Permit
- New Business / Change of Business
- Tenant Fit-Ups
- Business Signs
- All other Commercial Work
How to File a Zoning Permit
If you are looking to conduct any work listed above (Residential or Commercial), you must complete a Zoning Permit Application online. You must upload detailed plans and a current survey to scale.
PLEASE NOTE THAT A ZONING APPLICATION IS IN ADDITION TO A CONSTRUCTION PERMIT APPLICATION THAT MAY BE REQUIRED UNDER THE UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE. YOU MAY NEED TO APPLY WITH THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT FOR A CONSTRUCTION PERMIT IN ADDITION TO FILING YOUR ZONING PERMIT.
New Businesses / Change of Businesses
All businesses, prior to operating within the Borough of Bellmawr, are required to obtain a Zoning Commencement of Use Approval. View the Starting a New Business page here.
Zoning Map of the Borough of Bellmawr
Required Inspections for All Subcodes for One- & Two-Family Dwellings
Required inspections for all subcodes for one and two family dwellings are the following:
- The bottom of footing trenches before placement of footings, except that in the case of pile foundations, inspections shall be made in accordance with the requirements of the building subcode
- Foundations and all walls up to grade level prior to back filling
- All structural framing and connections prior to covering with finish of infill material; plumbing underground services, rough piping, water service, sewer, septic services and storm drains; electrical rough wiring, panels and service installations; insulation installation.
- Installation of all finished materials, sealings of exterior joints; plumbing piping, trim and fixtures; electrical wiring, devices and fixtures; mechanical systems equipment
Required Special Inspections
- The applicant by accepting the permit will be deemed to have consented to these requirements
- A final inspection is required for each applicable subcode area before a final Certificate of Occupancy or Approval may be issued
- Any violations of the approved plans and/or permit will be noted and the holder of the permit notified of discrepancies
- A complete copy of approved plans must be kept on the job site (stamped field copy)