Regular Office Hours
8am – 3:30pm (Monday – Friday)
*Closed from Noon to 1pm for lunch.
Summer Office Hours (mid- June thru Labor Day; see calendar)
8am – 5pm (Monday – Thursday)
*Closed from Noon to 1pm for lunch.
(After Hours/office closed)
If you visit our office during Borough Hours and we’re closed, there is a drop off bin for use. Please use this to drop anything off (or can slide under door, too).
For your convenience, there is a literature rack just outside of our office door where every single form for this office is available for pickup.
Construction Office Responsibilities
The Construction Office is a state mandated department and performs within the regulations of the New Jersey Code, Title 5, Chapter 23. The department is responsible for administration and enforcement of the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code.
Our office does NOT have any property surveys on file. All surveys should be given to the homeowner at the time of purchase. If you do not have a copy of your survey, you can call a company to have them create one. (we can not give referrals for contractors/surveyors/etc.)
All Construction/Zoning permits must be obtained for new construction, additions, and certain alterations (some examples are but are not limited to: heaters, solar, signs, decks, steps, receptacles, pools, sheds, concrete, fences, etc.)
- Permit applications may be obtained from the Construction Office or the forms listed in the Online Documents page.
- No work can begin or be completed until the permit is paid in full and every permit requires an inspection(s)
- Permit fee schedule
- Construction Permit F170 MUST BE CARBON! COPIES NOT ACCEPTED (click for explanation)
- tech sheets: Submit carbon if available. if not please submit ONE copy of each.
- If plans are required, only TWO sets are required (one you will receive back once permit has been issued)
5:23-2.16 Construction Permits- Procedure “The payment of appropriate fees”
5:23-2.14(a) Failure to obtain Construction Permits
Please be aware that there can be violations/fines if any address has had work completed without the proper permits and approvals. Even if there is a permit in the office awaiting the payment, you are still guilty of work without a permit.
When submitting building plans/drawings, TWO SETS are required. Once permit is issued, the contractor/homeowner will receive the field copy that must be kept on site for all inspections.
Any “emergency” permits: must be received by our office within 72 hours as well as providing the office with notice.
Inspections & Payments
FINAL PAYMENT TO THE CONTRACTOR IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE MADE BEFORE A FINAL INSPECTION IS PERFORMED. (N.J.A.C. 13:45a – 16.2(a)10.ii)
- Construction permits must be inspected in accordance with the State Uniform Construction Code Regulations N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.18
- The owner or other responsible person in charge of work must notify our office when work is ready for any required inspections.
- Requests for inspections must be made at least 24 hours prior to the time the inspection is desired. (no inspections can be scheduled via voicemail)
Required inspections for all subcodes for one and two family dwellings are the following:
The bottom of footing trenches before placement of footings, except that in the case of pile foundations, inspections shall be made in accordance with the requirements of the building subcode;
- Foundations and all walls up to grade level prior to back filling
- All structural framing and connections prior to covering with finish of infill material; plumbing underground services, rough piping, water service, sewer, septic services and storm drains; electrical rough wiring, panels and service installations; insulation installation.
- Installation of all finished materials, sealings of exterior joints; plumbing piping, trim and fixtures; electrical wiring, devices and fixtures; mechanical systems equipment
Required Special Inspections
- The applicant by accepting the permit will be deemed to have consented to these requirements
- A final inspection is required for each applicable subcode area before a final Certificate of Occupancy or Approval may be issued
- Any violations of the approved plans and/or permit will be noted and the holder of the permit notified of discrepancies
- A complete copy of approved plans must be kept on the job site (stamped field copy)
- All checks can be made payable to “Borough of Bellmawr”
- No Credit Cards Accepted or online payments.
- Cash payments must be EXACT!
- If mailing in any payment, please address to “Attn: Construction”
- If there is an invoice number, (which is located on top right corner in a box stating “invoice no.” Please note the invoice number on the check.
- If payment is for a permit, please note address on the check.
The Borough of Bellmawr maintains regulations regarding the size and placement of signs within the Borough. Whether the sign is temporary or permanent, an application must be submitted. A diagram of the sign must be included with the permit application as well as the Zoning/Land Use form.
Residential Rental Properties
As per Ordinance in the Borough of Bellmawr, all residential rental properties are required to be issued a Rental CO & inspected annually. (SEE INSPECTION TIME FRAMES UNDER CO’S BELOW)
A Landlord Identity Statement must be completed. The Tenant Information form must be updated every time a new tenant moves in. (Submit that form and complete with tenant’s information for every new tenant)
$100, & inspection is required for EVERY new tenant; Even if the inspector was there previously.
Annual Rental CO bills go out the beginning of April. Failure to pay before due date on invoice WILL result in a $50 late fee that CAN’T be removed & a court summons. After payment is received an inspection MUST be scheduled.
Our office is not responsible to call to set up inspections; this is the duty of the landlord.
FAILURE TO SCHEDULE ANNUAL INSPECTIONS WILL RESULT IN A COURT SUMMONS. (even if invoice has been paid.)
Certificate Of Occupancy’s (C/O)
NO SEPARATE FIRE/SMOKE – ALL IN ONE (see checklist below)
PLEASE SEE EXPLANATION OF CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP ON THE APPLICATION FORM BELOW
Must be obtained PRIOR to settlement.
Any vacant fees MUST be paid prior to issuing ANY certification as well as any open permits.
Inspections are conducted Tuesdays & Thursdays AM only
choose time frame: 7a-8a, 8a-9a, 9a-10a, 11a-12p, 12p-1p or 1p-2p or can go in on lock box. (code must be provided upon scheduling; not on the application)
a copy pass or fail will be left at the property.
After inspection passes, the CO will be available for pickup outside the construction office door in the “pick up” bin so whoever is picking it up does not need to see/speak to anyone specifically since it’ll be in the pick up bin for convenience. (Borough doors are open 8 AM to 4PM)
Fee is $100 (Cash or check only)
no charge for 2nd inspection
3rd re-inspection = $75
4th (or more) re-inspection =$100
All vacant properties must be registered by Ordinance of the Borough of Bellmawr.
To obtain any fees due, please call/email us providing the address.
IF A HOME HAS ANY VACANT CHARGES, THEY MUST BE PAID PRIOR TO ISSUANCE OF C/O. IF A HOME IS PURCHASED W/ CASH, A C/O IS STILL REQUIRED.
ANY FEES THAT ARE OPEN AND DUE FOR A HOME, WILL STAY LINKED TO THE ADDRESS SO WITHOUT OBTAINING A CO, THE FEES WILL FALL RESPONSIBLE TO NEW OWNER IF NOT ADDRESS PRIOR TO SETTLEMENT.
Staff & Contact Information
Documents & Forms
Upcoming Events & Important Dates
Frequently Asked Questions
Borough Quick Links
Docs & Forms
Meetings & Events
Have A Question?
Contact the Borough of Bellmawr.